Thursday 4 November 2010

What really happened at Manchester United - The Skype call that changed everything in the controversial Wayne Rooney exit saga

Date: Friday 22nd October 2010. Time: 10:00am BST, 5:00am EDT

Skype Call participants:

The Owner: Malcolm Glazer; The Player: Wayne Rooney; The Agent: Paul Stretford; The Chief Executive: David Gill; The Manager: Sir Alex Ferguson

Gill: Are we all in?

Stretford: Yes

Ferguson: Aye

Rooney: Is this thing on? Can you hear me?

Gill: Loud and clear Wayne, loud and clear

Glazer: Yes I'm here. It's 5 o'clock in the freaking morning so please make it quick...

Gill: Right. Yes. I trust we all know what’s on the agenda today. Wayne you’ve asked to leave, we want you stay...

Rooney: Yeah well it’s not that I don‘t want to stay it‘s just…

Stretford: [Cough] Erm yes well either you up your contract offer or Wayne’s off to City

Gill: As I’ve already told you Paul, we’re able to offer £110,000-a-week...

Stretford: And I assume that’s after tax?

Gill: You would be correct

Stretford: Right so that’s… what… a £20,000 increase? Are you having a laugh?

Ferguson: You don’t know when you were born lad. [Under muttered breath] Bloody agents…

Gill: Right we’re clearly not getting anywhere fast. Malcolm, do we have any room to manoeuvre?

Glazer: Let me just grab the calculator… [Sound of keys tapping] [Pause of 10 seconds]

Gill: Malcolm are you still there?

Glazer: Right on. Okay. £150,000-a-week. That’s about as far as we can stretch

Stretford: Not good enough. I’ve got Garry Cook waiting on the other line, back in a …

Ferguson: Woah let’s calm down and all take a step back a minute. For Christ sake. Do you all understand the repercussions if we lose the boy? He has to bloody stay, anything and everything else just isn’t an option. Malcolm, I know I don’t speak to you very often and I don’t ask for much when I do but you need to give the boy what he wants here. For the sake of the future of Manchester United

Glazer: [Pause]. You’re busting my balls here Alex… [Longer pause]. Right. What exactly does Wayne want?

Stretford: £250,000-a-week - that’s basic wage - goal and assist bonus of £5,000 each, win bonus of £7,500. I, I mean Wayne, also wants a cut of 50% for all Wayne Rooney merchandise sold. There’s a few other requests but I can put that all in writing. Let’s just agree on this basic wage first…

Glazer: No can do. £175,000 - take it or leave it

Rooney: That sounds like a more than acceptab…

Stretford: Right I won’t even begin to discuss clauses but okay, what about assurances with regards to investment in playing staff?

Gill: We are not obliged to discuss transfer policy with agents. [Puts Stretford on hold]

Gill: Right Wayne, that’s the offer, I’m afraid we can’t go any higher than that. Five years, £175,000 a week basic. In terms of future signings, I can confirm, no promise, we will be in a position to operate effectively in the transfer market in the summer of 2011

Rooney: That sounds good to me, I’m on my way to Carrington now to sign…

Gill: Then that settles it. Alex, Malcolm, Wayne, thanks for your time.

[Call ends]

Stretford: Hello?!

No comments:

Post a Comment